NBI - Regional Design Manager
National Broadband Ireland (NBI) will be the designer, builder and operator of the ultrafast broadband network for rural Ireland. It was established by Granahan McCourt (GMC), an international investor in technology, media and telecommunications with 30 years of experience partnering with governments, corporations and people to drive development of communications infrastructure.
NBI has presented its vision for world-class, gigabit-speed broadband for every home, farm, school and business in areas of the country which are not fully served by commercial operators (the "Intervention Area"). National Broadband Ireland will supply broadband to the one quarter of Irish people and premises which currently cannot access high-speed broadband through commercial services. It guarantees a level playing field for 1.1 million people, 540,000 premises including 100,000 businesses and farms, and over 600 schools.
Key Objectives / Accountabilities:
The purpose of this role is to take responsibility for the production and delivery of the Low-Level Detailed Design of the target network to meet the needs of the National Broadband Plan, State led intervention within an assigned region. The role will have direct responsibility for the management of Design Contractors selected to undertake the Access Network design project within a defined region. The role will have responsibility for ensuring compliance with design quality, timely delivery and compliance with Client and DCCAE approval criteria.
- Network Detailed Design Input Work Packs for supply to the Design contractor
- Cost model and budgetary inputs
- Quality Assurance Plan
- Detailed Design pack delivery for the passive Access network to meet programme schedule
- Design Approval Process
- Proactively manage the work performance at team and individual level and ensure that skills and best practice transfer within the team.
- Coach and support team members through regular team meetings and site visits to ensure compliance with quality standards.
- Oversee the Implementation the Network Design Principles by contractors
- Manage the relationship with design contractors to deliver Network Detailed Work Plans and Packs to support timely execution of the build process and the network deployment programme.
- Manage a team of fibre designers to review and approve the Design output.
- Manage the delivery of Design requirements to meet the NBI deployment Programme Director's plan
- Oversee the implementation of the network Design Quality Assurance and acceptance testing.
- Ensure compliance with Health and Safety obligations
- Oversee compliance with environmental and ecological compliance plan.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with key operational, business and management stakeholders
- Work with Design Production Manager to develop and deliver cohesive delivery schedule.
- Support the Design Production manager to Implement the Departmental Authorisation to proceed process.
- Support the Network Deployment Infrastructure Access manager with timely delivery of access request packs.
- Support the Financial Controller in the application of the Project Agreement Contract Assumptions
Knowledge & Experience:
- Experienced at an operational and supervisory level in a relevant engineering/electrical/electronic discipline.
- 5+ years' experience in a technical role in telecommunications industry.
- Track record in design discipline in telecommunications industry, preferably in a Fibre Optic/GPON environment but at a minimum in Access Network situation
- Knowledge of operation of an ISO accredited environment
- Experience of Quality Assurance and Quality management systems essential.
- Experience of telecommunications network construction principles essential.
- Good people orientation and ability to communicate and lead by example
- Ability to manage time and deal with multiple complex problems at once
- High levels of flexibility, willingness to learn and develop individually and as a team
- Proven ability to successfully supervise external partners/vendors
- Proven ability to respond well to change and maintain flexibility while keeping focus on objectives
- Ability to manage a team where there is a requirement to maintain a focus on delivery within a fast-paced, deadline oriented, environment
- Demonstrates flexibility and willingness to do what it takes to get the job done
- Excellent ambassador for NBI, promoting the behavioural and role modelling trains to propomet NBI's values.