NBI - Environmental Health & Safety Director
National Broadband Ireland (NBI) will be the designer, builder and operator of the ultrafast broadband network for rural Ireland. It was established by Granahan McCourt (GMC), an international investor in technology, media and telecommunications with 30 years of experience partnering with governments, corporations and people to drive development of communications infrastructure.
NBI has presented its vision for world-class, gigabit-speed broadband for every home, farm, school and business in areas of the country which are not fully served by commercial operators (the "Intervention Area"). National Broadband Ireland will supply broadband to the one quarter of Irish people and premises which currently cannot access high-speed broadband through commercial services. It guarantees a level playing field for 1.1 million people, 540,000 premises including 100,000 businesses and farms, and over 600 schools.
Key Objectives / Accountabilities:
The Health, Safety and Environment function within NBI is responsible for ensuring and supporting compliance with company, national and European level health, safety quality and environmental standards. Reporting to the CEO this is an exciting and challenging multi-faceted environment health and safety role and would suit a talented individual looking to take ownership of the delivery of one of the largest projects an organisation has delivered in Ireland.
- Oversee and develop the Company's Environmental, Health & Safety function in its entirety, ensuring compliance with all Environmental, Health & Safety regulations and best practice
- Maintaining ISO14001:2015, ISO45001:2016, ISO50001:2011, standards
- Maintaining ISO9001:2015 standard for NBI deployment
- Manage the creation, development, maintenance and review of EHS procedures and processes
- Partner with the Deployment and Operational Senior Management team to ensure effective delivery of Safety solutions
- Maintain a comprehensive Risk Assessment Program, identify potential Occupational & site H&S risks
- Conduct all "risk assessments" as required by legislation and ensure they are reviewed at relevant intervals and maintain records of the same
- Extensive experience in the preparation of safety documents, i.e. method statements, site safety plans, etc.
- Production of Project specific documentation including Construction Stage Health, Safety Plans; Project Quality Management Plans, activity method statements and risk assessments etc
- Advising & assisting NBI Deployment Management in drafting and communicating Method Statements;
- Investigate, record and where necessary, report accidents, incidents and near-misses promptly.
- Lead incident investigation to determine root cause analysis ensuring corrective actions are implemented and define areas for improvement at an operational and strategic level
- Chair safety meetings for the company, main contractor and sub-contractors personnel;
- Facilitate the management of contractors through the use of risk assessment / method statements
- Ensuring sub-contractor safety statements and required Method statement are available on site and assess sub-contractor statements and method statements, assisting where required;
- Support on site audits and maintain all documentation in relation to this.
- Responsible for establishing a comprehensive Environmental Aspects & Impact Program that anticipates the effects on the environment from our operational activities
- Facilitate process and provide support in industrial hygiene sampling, fire drills and energy conservation audits to ensure regulatory compliance
- Ensure that Occupational Monitoring programs (e.g. chemicals, noise, dust, VDU assessments, ergonomic assessments, etc.) are defined and completed
- Ensuring staff are fully trained and signed off on all relevant assigned duties
- Develop and conduct EHS Training for specific teams during New Hire orientation, Chemical Use, Ergonomic Program, Manual Handling, Service Providers, on site visits etc.
- Develop reporting systems to measure and assess performance and identify opportunities for continuous improvement
- Production of ongoing monthly compliance report to inform company decision makers
- Act as main point of contact for both internal and external stakeholders, representing the organisation across a range of events, committees and groups
- Promote and ensure a safe working culture of an incident-free workplace
- Attending site visits as required is an essential part of this role
Knowledge & Experience:
- A qualification to degree level in an Environmental and/or Health and Safety related discipline is required.
- At least 7-10 years' experience in Environmental, Health and Safety related issues in a similar role, including developing and implementing strategy and demonstrated ability to liaise with people at all levels of an organisation
- Thorough knowledge of current Health, Safety and Environmental legislation.
- Experience in EHS data gathering, analysis and data governance.
- Design and Build background experience preferable
- Past experience implementing a Health & Safety Management System in the telecoms/Construction Industry
- Strong project and time management skills coupled with the ability to create innovative solutions
- Must be proactive and be able to work as part of a team.
- Ability to think and work independently with the drive to continually seek improvement.
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills.
- Full drivers licence required