Fantastic opportunity for an experienced Data Protection Officer to join NBI
National Broadband Ireland (NBI) will be the designer, builder and operator of the ultrafast broadband network for rural Ireland. It was established by Granahan McCourt (GMC), an international investor in technology, media and telecommunications with 30 years of experience partnering with governments, corporations and people to drive development of communications infrastructure.
NBI has presented its vision for world-class, gigabit-speed broadband for every home, farm, school and business in areas of the country which are not fully served by commercial operators (the "Intervention Area"). National Broadband Ireland will supply broadband to the one quarter of Irish people and premises which currently cannot access high-speed broadband through commercial services. It guarantees a level playing field for 1.1 million people, 540,000 premises including 100,000 businesses and farms, and over 600 schools.
NBI are currently recruiting for a Data Protection Officer. Reporting to the Chief Legal Officer, this role will take responsiblity to develop, implement and maintain the Company's data protection and privacy risk frameworks, processes, assessments and employee awareness programs & training to ensure the control environment pertaining to data protection and privacy risk is suitably robust and fit for purpose.
- Create, develop and implement of the data protection framework.
- Inform and advise the business and their employees of their obligations under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
- Monitor business compliance with national & European (in particular the GDPR) and data protection laws and regulations
- Overall responsibility for development and implementation of data protection and privacy risk frameworks, processes, assessments and employee awareness programs.
- Co-ordinate and deliver education and training to business units
- Provide advice and a framework relating to privacy impact assessments (for new and existing projects) and monitoring implementation of same
- Where appropriate represent NBI at various data protection compliance bodies
- Together with various stakeholders and business unit leaders, develop systems and strategies to ensure best practice compliance with the data protection laws and regulations
- Act as the DPO for businesses within NBI Group
- Manage data security incident process and subsequent reporting to relevant regulatory bodies.
- Undertake any required investigations into possible or suspected breaches of data protection legislation and complaints
- Serve as the Group's point of contact with relevant data protection regulatory bodies
- Coordinating with BU leaders on contractual risk with customer services e.g. Data centre agreements, customer contracts, data processing agreements and supplier contracts, data processing agreements and supplier contracts
- Develop and collate business unit monthly KPI's and management information metrics for DPO risk management and reporting.
- Identification of business processes and systems that relate to personal data and are deemed in-scope for GDPR.
- Review commercial agreements and contracts, including Data Processing agreements with data processors
- Manage escalated queries from all parts of the business, bringing them to resolution by developing effective solutions
- Develop and roll out a programme of staff awareness training to achieve compliance and foster a culture of data privacy within the organisation;
- Reporting on data protection compliance directly to the CEO / Group Directors
- Assist mergers and acquisitions teams on data protection due diligence projects
- Draft policies and procedures in line with data protection regulatory requirements
- Further develop the existing culture and awareness of data privacy within the company
Knowledge & Experience:
- Solid experience in managing and implementing data protection programmes
- Have a proven track record of analysing work flows/ processes/system and effectively documenting them
- Proven track record of successfully leading and managing internal and 3rd party teams
- The DPO will need to be hands on, analysing systems requirements gathering documentation, commercial statements of work, vendors commercial agreements, etc
- Professional qualification, (Data Protection/Compliance/Legal/Accounting/IT Security).
- A relevant Data Protection qualification (CIPT, CDPO, CIPP etc.) is desirable
- 5 Year + experience working in a Compliance Role.
- Demonstrated understanding of data protection and privacy practices and the regulatory and legislative frameworks, including GDPR and the practicalities of implementation.
- Experience in managing data incidents and breaches
- Knowledge of cybersecurity risks and information security standards
- Good understanding of the data processing operations carried out, as well as the information systems, and data security and data protection needs of controllers
- Ability to make good judgements regarding data privacy risks and to prioritize resources and activity around managing those risks
- Able to conduct the role with integrity and high professional ethics
- Ability to work with all levels of the organisation in a professional manner and communicate data protection terminology.
- Outstanding internal and external communication skills, capable of dealing with wide range of stakeholders, including senior management - ability to connect with people on data-protection issues and very confident to argue a case for necessary change.
- Proactive approach to seeking information and identify solutions
- Excellent organisational skills, ability to work to tight deadlines.
- Strong IT skills (Microsoft Office
- Exposure to the construction and telecommunications industries would be a distinct advantage
- A proven ability to leverage analytical and problem-solving skills in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrates flexibility and willingness to do what it takes to get the job done. Be willing and able to "roll up sleeves" and apply them self to any task.
- Driven personality with a strong team ethic.
- Excellent ambassador for NBI, promoting the organisation and role modelling NBI's values
if you would like to be considered for this role, please submit an application through the process and a member of our recruitment team will be in touch.