Flight Engineer Position with Ground-Breaking Tech Company
Help connect those in hard to reach areas! This company uses high-altitude balloons placed in the stratosphere at an altitude of about 18 km to create an aerial wireless networks for people in rural or remote areas as well as those looking to get back online after natural disasters.
The Flight Engineering team is responsible for 24x7x365 command and control of the entire fleet of balloons (navigation, fleet risk management, and software and hardware debugging). We are looking for skilled generalist engineers who use automation and operations skills to ensure the safe operation and navigation of the entire Project fleet. They further provide input to other engineering teams to support problem diagnosis, as well as making the critical decisions necessary to maintain safety.
- Debug in-production systems, troubleshoot anomalies related to balloon vehicles and navigation, and work with subsystem engineers to improve subsystems.
- Make tactical decisions affecting airborne activities including testing new hardware, launches and landings.
- Assist integration and operation of airborne tests and non-standard or new systems.
Coordinate with and provide timely information to Air Traffic Control Agencies and Aviation
- Authorities around the world for the operation of High Altitude Balloons
- Conduct fleet safety & efficiency analysis, and define overall fleet plan making necessary tradeoffs to accommodate the needs of key project stakeholders
- Design and improve processes, automation and monitoring systems for a safe and scalable operations of large fleets of balloons.
- Write, test and maintain scripts/software to automate away repetitive operational tasks
- Work off-peak hours on 8-hour shifts including holidays and weekends, supporting 24/7 operations
- Mechanical Engineering, Computer Science, Aerospace Engineering, Electrical Engineering degree OR around 6 years of experience in similar/related field
- Basic technical knowledge in Engineering and thorough understanding of Newtonian Physics
- Experience in one or more of the following: C, C++, Java, Python, Go, Perl, Ruby or shell scripting
- Experience with Linux/Unix (or similar) systems
- Demonstrated ability to remain calm under pressure, and to make fast and calculated decisions in response to unforeseen situations
- Ability to focus on multiple projects at the same time, reprioritizing as necessary
- Self-starter, able to make progress independently and without a lot of direction
- Good organizational skills, ability to convey an idea clearly and concisely without missing information
Morgan McKinley is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy.
Please note that any references to salary or pay rates in this advertisement and in the salary refinement section are indicative only and should only be used as a guide.