Well done, you’ve managed to bag yourself an interview for an online marketing role. Now comes the hard part - preparing for the interview. There are hundreds of questions they can ask you, from SEO to social media to website maintenance to PPC. It can be difficult to know where to start.
Fret not, I put together a list of 50 interview questions to help you organise your preparation!
1. How would you explain the difference between online and offline marketing?
2. How do you foresee the future of online marketing?
3. What does it mean to have a responsive website?
4. Have you looked at our company website, can you suggest how you would improve it?
5. What is the most effective way to increase traffic to your website?
6. Explain how you would carry out keyword research? Which keyword research tools would you use?
7. What website CMS platforms have you administered in the past (Wordpress, Drupal, Joomla?)
8. Tell me what you know about SEO
9. What is the difference between 'On Page' and 'Off Page' optimization?
10. What is the difference between 'White Hat SEO' and 'Black Hat SEO'?
11. Tell me about the latest Google algorithm changes.
12. What SEO tools do you use?
13. What tool(s) do you use to track your rankings?
14. What is page rank or PR?
15. What is a 'Backlink'?
16. Can you explain what PPC stands for?
17. Do you have experience directly managing a Google Adwords campaign?
18. How do you improve quality score?
19. What does CPC means?
20. With CPC ads, how can a lower click through rate lead to a higher ROI (Return on Investment)?
21. Is it good, bad or indifferent to pay for ads on terms that you already rank on for natural search?
22. How do you measure ROI?
23. What’s your methodology in creating ad copies
24. Can you explain what content marketing is?
25. What blogs do you read?
26. Why and how would someone share your content or talk about your company?
27. Explain the link between content marketing and SEO
28. Explain the link between content marketing and your social media strategy
29. Can you explain the steps you would take to build a content strategy for our business
30. Can you talk to me about a content strategy that you have implemented? Was it successful?
31. How important is video content?
32. What is the purpose of social media?
33. Give an example of when you have had to write a social media strategy explain how you approached this task
34. What are the differences between writing for traditional web channels and writing for social media?
35. Why do you think we should use social media?
36. In what ways do we need to be careful when using these tools?
37. How do you measure social ROI?
38. What is your experience managing multiple social media accounts?
39. What social media tools have you experience with?
40. Which social media brand strategy has inspired you lately?
41. What is your policy on moderating comments?
42. How does social media affect SEO and your online profile?
43. Can you tell us about some of the challenges you have faced when introducing social media in your previous job, and how you overcame them?
44. What web analysing packages are you familiar with?
45. Why it is important to monitor your website traffic (or the lack of it)?
46. How do you assess engagement/the value of a visitor to the business?
47. What is 'Bounce Rate'?
48. Explain the difference between a page view, visit, visitor and unique visitor?
49. What does Google Webmaster Tools do?
50. Explain what a conversion rate is.
If you're able to answer all of the above questions you're well on track to landing that dream online marketing job. Good luck!