What do you really need when hiring HR management?
Are companies looking for HR management roles in Tipperary, Waterford, Wexford, Kilkenny, Carlow, Laois and Kildare asking the impossible?
Approximately 80% of all the HR management roles in our region, Tipperary, Waterford, Wexford, Kilkenny, Carlow, Laois and Kildare require a mix of:
- an HR qualification
- relevant HR experience in multinational manufacturing
- an outgoing, open and energetic personality
A tall order in any location!
Whilst I understand that companies have the right to hold out for the best possible fit, there are supply and demand issues with the above criteria and in many cases something has to give.
If you look at the profile of businesses in our region, whilst we do have the presence of some very strong multinational manufacturing facilities, the bulk of our businesses are SMEs or in the multinational service sector.
Therefore in order for a company to get the ideal person for the job, we are largely reliant on HR candidates moving into the location. Once this pool has run out the next logical pool of talent comes from a multinational service sector.
I would urge the following:
- Do not sacrifice required personality or competencies for the sake of an exact match to the industry.
- Be prepared to compromise or pay the toll and wait for six months to find someone for the position.
- Business managers, ask yourself the question - What is the ultimate cost to the business?